Monday, August 25, 2014

Engaged to be Married!!



We got engaged on January 22, 2014 but people keep asking us how he popped the question, so here it is!
 
As you know from our posts on how we met (his and her's), we both work at the same gymnastics centre. At the time of the proposal I knew Kyle had the ring but had no idea how he would ask. The last thing I was expecting was for him to do it at work. And because I'm so stubborn sometimes it almost didn't happen as he had planned.

Kyle had been planning it for a couple weeks: propose after work one night with a few of our close friends in attendance. Nothing too elaborate, just a few candles, a few friends, simple... Maybe in theory, but not in application.
 
That night Kyle and I had driven into work together. He was off before me though so he went home to make dinner and was supposed to come get me a few hours later when I was done. In typical Kyle fashion, he got distracted and dinner took longer than he thought so he was going to be late picking me up. I didn't think much of it, although I was very tired and wanted to go home pretty badly. I locked up the gym, sat on a mat chatting with some of the coaches and waited for Kyle to come get me.

After half an hour he still wasn't there (or so I thought) and I was starting to get restless. I thought it was kind of strange that some coaches were still hanging around, but then again it wasn't uncommon for us to sit around and chat after work. Two of the girls went upstairs into an office and started talking so loudly we could hear murmurs down stairs which, again, I thought was kind of strange but I brushed it off.

Then out of nowhere my friend (also a coordinator) comes barrelling through the front door. Now, it's important to remember that it's now 930 at night and she is never there that late because she comes in very early in the morning. This totally should've tipped me off but she was so frantic I got distracted trying to help her! She needed to find a sub for the next day and didn't have her laptop... Ok, I tried to get her to look at the schedule we have posted on the main floor but she said no. She needed a file that only I have on my laptop on all the staff... Ok, fine! At this point I think she's being kind of ridiculous but fine lets go up to the office and look quick before Kyle picks me up.

We get upstairs and all hell breaks lose! The girls upstairs had apparently been talking about one their boyfriends. When we get up there one of them is flat out balling her face off talking about how she's not sure about them, they never spend time together, they always fight. It was a bloody disaster zone up there! So we get completely distracted and try to calm her down and comfort her. I don't notice because our office is pretty tight to begin with, but they kind of barricade me into the room. We continue talking about boys for a while and I even offer to have the girl over for a glass of wine that night to continue talking. In the middle of this the other girl randomly gets up and walks out without saying a word, but I just assume she's going to the bathroom or something.
 
Then another coach pops her head into the office and says they need me downstairs. By this point I'm almost at my limit. Kyle is now 45 minutes late, I'm tired, I'm hungry and I'm putting out fires every time I turn around. I walk out of the office and the main lights are turned off and the boys have music blasting. I think WTF are they doing now?!?!?!... Then it hits me... This is it!!

I slowly walk down towards the music and as I turn the corner I see there is a trail of candles leading the way to Kyle, who's standing there in his singlet (gymnastics outfit for those who don't know what a singlet is)! I always thought I would cry tears of joy at this point, but I just had the biggest grin on my face ever. I walked down to him, taking it all in and as I did I see all our friends popping out from behind mats all over the gym and walking towards where we are going to meet. It was magical and so special. The song being blasted on the stereo turned out to be a song Kyle had written just for me, just for that moment.



When I finally made it to him he got down on one knee and said/did some pretty funny and cute things.
1) He said I'm the best catch since his Kovacs (gymnastics move).
2) He said penguins mate for life. To show who they want to be with the boy penguin searches high and low for the perfect pebble to give the girl penguin he loves. Well Kyle had done just that. He opened the ring box instead of my ring there was a little pebble. (Okay, I'll wait while you grab a tissue and say "Awe!")
3) Then he pulled out the real ring and asked if I would marry him. I said yes (who could say no to all the sweetness?!). We kissed and then...
4) Then Kyle cued the next song and Bubble Butt came on. We danced to it and then turned on the lights and had a tramp party.
5) Best night ever!

In talking to everyone after it seems Kyle wasn't actually late at all. I often go up into my office and answer emails before leaving for the day and that's when they were all going to sneak in and set everything up. Well, that night I was so tired I didn't go upstairs. The girls that first went upstairs were talking so loudly because they were hoping I would come up to see what was going on. When I wouldn't go the other girl that needed a file off my computer decided to try. In the end they didn't need a sub, the girl wasn't having trouble with her boyfriend and it was all a big plan to get me to go upstairs and get out of the way.



So there you have it, the story of our proposal. To everyone that helped, thanks for making my night so amazing!

Love,

Taya and Kyle

Thank you for all your love and support!!
Interested in further supporting our journey? Please visit our GoGetFunding page.

No comments:

Post a Comment